“It is impossible to see what you do not believe.” –Course in Miracles
On Thursday, driving from Del Mar, California to Carlsbad to meet the Hay House team, I heard Leonardo Dicaprio being interviewed about his new flick, “Wolf of Wall Street.”
He was talking about a scene where he and Jonah Hill’s character did so many qualuuds they couldn’t walk. They reshot the scene five or six times, but evidently it was so much fun that the two of them looked at each other and said, “Can you believe we get paid to do this?’
That pretty much sums up how I felt about my day at Hay House. I mean, where else can you hang out with a whole office of people who already know that what you think is what you get.
Hay House staffers joke that they’ve “drunk the Kool-aid,” but here’s why, if you’re an author of inspirational books, they’re the only way to fly.
1. They have a captive market. E-Squared was my 16th book, but it’s the first to make the New York Times bestseller list. Because Hay House has cornered the market for readers wanting to raise their consciousness, they were the perfect publisher to reach the kind of readers that like books like E-Squared.
2. They’re a whole different breed of publisher. I’ve worked with five or six different publishing houses throughout my career (which tells you a bit about my jack of all trades tendencies) and while I’m grateful to all of them, none of them own their own radio station (publicity is the holy grail for authors), their own fan club (the Hay House list grows exponentially every week) and their own seminars where authors get a whole different platform for reaching readers.
3. The president of the company knows authors by name. Reid Tracy, the president of Hay House, took me to lunch while I was there. It’s not uncommon for me to get personal emails from this publishing dynamo. Not once, did this kind of thing happen with my other publishers. In fact, I have no idea who the presidents of those publishers even were.
Reid told me that Wayne Dyer, probably the best known self-help author on the planet, was still getting messages from his previous publisher (and this is after several bestsellers) addressed to Dwayne Dwyer.
4. Ya gotta love the founder. What self-respecting self-help groupie (and yes, I’m a card-carrying member) hasn’t read Louise Hay’s seminal book, “You Can Heal your Life.” I while I haven’t met her yet (that’s one of my upcoming intentions) I love that I looked in the same mirrors that she has so many times looked into and said, “Hey good looking. How ya doing?”
5. Elbow rubbing with the best. After my meeting with the Heal Your Life website team, I was invited back to their humongous bookshelf, handed a canvas bag and told, “Help yourself.” I grabbed so many books that my suitcase on yesterday’s flight home was overweight. Not that you can really be overweight with positive books like that.
For anyone who isn’t already partaking of the Start the New You seminar going on right now, here’s a link to my interview that ran today.
I love all you guys. Keep the joy channels wide open and ready to receive.
Pam Grout is the author of 16 books including E-Squared: 9 Do-it-Yourself Energy Experiments that Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality.
I loved reading this post!!!!!! I am so happy for you and just thrilled you are with the Hay House team. I just got an email from another one of their authors I got to meet in Toronto, and see speak. I am looking forward to having him down to speak to our school and to one day join the ranks of the amazing authors they publish.
I loved your interview with Reid Tracy, Pam. I’ve read E-2 numerous times and pull it out (it’s on my Kindle) whenever I “forget” and use it to get me back on track. Am anxious to read your new book. Thank you again for being inspired and inspiring so many!
Hi Pam – I agree that Hay House is the best! Wayne Dyer is THE very best guide for me. I have been led to meet many others through him and Louise.Hay. I met you through them. I say met because I feel that I do actually meet many good people online through great online sites. Glad to meet you and good luck.
Love it! Keep it coming. You inspire me! Just got my first offer for a free lance writing assignment that I queried. They loved my idea and I got the gig!
I will be an official IFW! Hurray. Colleen
Colleen G. Hannegan Writer * Speaker * Advisor
You were handed a canvas bag and told to “help yourself!!!” I am officially totally jealous. I love Hay House authors and radio shows and films. Awesome!
Pam, as a Hay House author myself, I agree with you totally. Hay House is the most amazing publisher!
What a fabulous, inspiring interview you gave to Reid for the New Year New You teleseminar series.
Love your idea about finding news around our neighborhoods.
Great interview Pam! blessings and more blessings!
Wonderful interview, Pam! I loved the idea of “writing your own news” instead of watching the news on TV. I did it this morning, and it was great! I completely agree that Hay House rocks, and this is why I intend to be a Hay House author. 🙂
What a great adventure for you Pam…luv, Diane.
Wow! My dream is to complete a book and have it published by Hay House. Your experience has inspired me. Thank you.
What a great inspiring message on so many levels. I actually love that it’s your 16th book that has really ‘made it’ – I get so tired of the “I just wrote a book, made a million and became an overnight success” type of stories, it’s refreshing to see a truthful perspective, and to see your amazing tenacity to reach the pinnacle of publishers (in my opinion), Hay House.
Look forward to hearing you speak at Ignite in London in March!