Five non-political reasons I support Bernie Sandwich
“Pizza makes me think that anything is possible.”–Henry Rollins
I try to stay out of politics here on the blog. My goal is to bring people together and well, usually politics does just the opposite.
But I’ve recently become so jazzed about the candidate commentator Chris Hayes, the other night, accidentally called Bernie Sandwich that I simply must shout it from the rooftops…or at least from my little public megaphone.
Here are the five reasons I’m feeling ‘the bern’
1. Bernie talks “we.” Other candidates spout I: “I’m going to work really hard for you. I’m going to change this. I believe……” Listen to his language. It’s all about “we, together, all of us.” Bernie knows change is a team sport.
2. Bernie talks possibility. Pragmatism, I suppose, has some perks. But idealism and optimism is the only thing that will really bring about the change we all long for. Anything is possible, but only if we wrap our mind and consciousness around it. I want to believe big things are possible. Why not?
3. Bernie refuses to talk smack about his opponent. Again, pragmatists and the “old story” insist the only way to win an election is to attack the other guy. Bernie, even when asked, even when his opponents start slandering him, refuses to go negative.
4. Bernie talks (and votes) peace. If little ole me here in Kansas could clearly see the futility of the Iraq war, I can’t fathom how any reasonable person in Washington could not see it. Bernie was one of a handful of senators who voted against sending troops to Iraq.
5. Bernie supports everybody. White, black, straight, gay, born here, immigrated yesterday. Bernie knows we’re all one. He knows you can’t really bomb that guy over there or wipe out that species down there without it affecting all of us.
I love his new ad and with that, I’m signing off from Lincoln Street.
Pam Grout is the author of 17 books including E-Squared: 9 Do-it-Yourself Energy Experiments that Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality and its equally-scintillating sequel, E-Cubed, 9 More Experiments that Prove Mirth, Magic and Merriment is your Full-time Gig.