The Top 5 Perks of Brazen Gratitude
“Thank you is the best prayer anyone could ever say.”—Alice Walker
Frequent flyers to this blog already know I’m playfully at work on a new book about the superpower of gratitude. So thought I’d rerun a post from last year on that very topic. Enjoy!
I just finished a story called “Training to Be Superman” for Men’s Journal. It includes six over-the-top endurance competitions for earning your cape. It was fun to write, sorta tongue-in-cheek, but it got me to thinking that of all the superpowers, gratitude is my superpower of choice. And it comes with all kinds of perks. Here are my top five:
1. Gratitude is a magic seed. It starts small, but it grows whatever you’re noticing into a super-size reality. Lettuce seeds are tiny, but they grow into these big green, nourishing leaves. By noticing even one tiny thing you like about an unpleasant situation, you can grow it into a giant green leaf of love.
2. Gratitude improves family relationships. Being happy is contagious and quickly spreads to your inner circle.
3. Gratitude brings you back to ultimate reality. It’s pretty easy to veer off track, to think “life sucks and then you die.” But when you stop for a moment and write a list of things you’re grateful for, you suddenly remember. “Oh, yea! Life is truly sweet.” As Adyashanti reminds us, “Reality is life without our distorting stories, ideas, and beliefs.” And when we’re grateful, those stories, ideas and beliefs don’t stand a chance.
4. Gratitude makes you happy. It makes you want to dance which, for those hoping to lose weight, is a pretty good technique.
5. Gratitude is the perfect superpower for any celebration. And since today is T.G.I.W. (It’s like T.G.I.F for Wednesdays), keep in mind that gratitude is even more potent than a cocktail.
Pam Grout is the author of 17 books including E-Squared: 9 Do-it-Yourself Energy Experiments that Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality and the recently-released sequel, E-Cubed, 9 More Experiments that Prove Mirth, Magic and Merriment is your Full-time Gig.